The Poetry X Prize for Poetry Rules
- Poems must be the ORIGINAL and UNPUBLISHED work (in any medium, including electronic) of the entrant.
- Poem length limit is: 60 LINES. Poems of longer than sixty lines will be truncated and judged for the first sixty lines only.
- As Poetry X is an English language site, all entries must be in English.
- Entries must be authored by only ONE poet.
- Poems may be of any theme, style, form, etc. No preference is given to any one form (i.e. sonnets, villanelles, free verse, etc.) over another.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted. If accepted elsewhere, however, we ask that they be withdrawn from the contest immediately. No money will be refunded.
- Do not include anything but the poem text in the Poem Text section of the submission form, including biographical information, the poet's name, contact info, an introductory remark, etc. Any poems violating this guideline will be disqualified and no entry fees returned.
- DO NOT e-mail your submissions to Poetry X, even after submitting via our online form.
- All entries MUST be submitted via our online entry form at PoetryX.com.
Contest Rules & Details
- Entries for The Poetry X Prize for Poetry are open until 11:59 PM EST of the final deadline day.
- The winning poem will be announced and published on Poetry X.
- All entry fees must be in U.S. funds.
- All prize monies are in U.S. funds.
- Winners will be paid via check or money order.
- Winners outside the USA will be paid via an international money order.
- The prize fund is offered wholly and exclusively by PoetryX.com through entry fees. Thus, the prize pool for future contests may increase or decrease depending on participation.
- Judges regret that they cannot return poems or offer comments on individual entries.
- Winners retain full copyright of their work after publication. Poetry X requires only FIRST Publication Rights worldwide via the World Wide Web, as well as anthology rights for any possible print anthologies.
- Poems to be published in a full-length book, chapbook, or anthology after the Announcement Date are eligible, provided that future publication credits Poetry X with the poem's original publication.
- Contest entry fees are non-refundable.
- Poets previously or currently published on Poetry X are ineligible (however, poems that were published in the Poetry X Forums are eligible).
- There is no cost associated with publication on Poetry X, and nothing to buy. You win, we publish your winning poem.
- Poetry X may ask the winner to furnish a brief biography. This is voluntary and will in no way affect prize winnings.
- Winning poets may opt out of any part of the award prizes without refusing any other part of that award.
- Winners will be notified via e-mail or telephone, and will be announced on the Poetry X Prize for Poetry main page.
- Sign up for our newsletter (see the bottom right corner of any page) to be alerted when the prize has been awarded.
- Winners are responsible for all applicable taxes on prizes awarded.
- Poetry X, its agencies, affiliates, sponsors or representatives absolve themselves of any liability, financial or otherwise, resulting from any contests conducted by Plagiarist Publications and/or PoetryX.com
- Entrants must agree to these rules and terms to be eligible to win.
- Additions or subtractions of these rules may be made at the full discretion of Poetry X and Plagiarist Publications at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I submit my poem?
All entries must be submitted via our online entry form.
I've never published a poem before. Do I have a disadvantage?
Not at all! Since the judging is "blind" the judge will not know of your reputation (or lack of one) and will thus consider your poem equally with all entries.
I have published two books of poetry. Am I eligible to win the Poetry X Prize?
The prize is open to any poet regardless of publishing history, but the poem(s) submitted must be as yet unpublished.
Have a question that isn't answered here? Contact us, and we'll respond ASAP.